Maurice Blond was born in 1899 in Lodz, Poland. His father was a Russian merchant and an art lover. In 1911, following a school examination, one of Blond’s watercolours attracted notice and was subsequently exhibited at the Kyiv Museum. In 1922 he joined the Natural Sciences Department of Warsaw University, but also took classes at the Warsaw School of Fine Arts, supporting himself by teaching Mathematics until 1923.That year, he left Poland for Berlin where he may have met Mintchine.
Blond arrived in Paris in 1924, and settled at the artist’s colony La Cité Falguière, where he formed friendships with a group of Russian artists including Michel Larionov, Nathalie Gontcharova, Jean Pougny, Pinchus Krémègne and Kostia Terechkovitch, with whom he shared a room in Montparnasse. In 1930 he became the organizer and artistic adviser of the Russian magazine Tchisla, through which he organized exhibitions. He volunteered for the French army in 1939 but was soon demobilized and sent to the Avignon region, where he found refuge, working for two years in the home of a local peasant. After the war, Blond settled in Grenoble and dedicated his time exclusively to painting. In 1953 an exhibition of his drawings and watercolours was held at Ben Uri Gallery. Maurice Blond died in Clamart, near Paris, France on 22 October 1974.