Claude Rogers was born into a Jewish family in London, England on 24 January 1907. He studied at the Slade School of Fine Art between 1925 and 1928 and was a founder member of the Euston Road School, together with William Coldstream and Victor Pasmore, becoming a leading upholder of the figurative tradition. He was part-time lecturer at the Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts in 1945 and from 1948-63 was visiting lecturer at the Slade. He was President of the London Group (1952-65) and Professor of Fine Art at the University of Reading (1963-72). In 1959 he was awarded the OBE for his services to art. His work was exhibited extensively including at the Leicester Galleries, London (1940-60), the Hatton Gallery, Newcastle (1955), the Whitechapel Art Gallery, London (1973), Fischer Fine Art, London (1975), Bury St Edmunds Art Gallery, Suffolk (1978-79), Gillian Jason Gallery, London (1984) and at the Ben Uri Gallery in 1992 (touring 1993). Claude Rogers died in London, England on 18 February 1979. His work is represented in numerous UK collections including Bristol Art Gallery, the Fitzwilliam, the Government Art Collection, the Royal West of England Academy and Tate.